What exactly is sideloading? To put it bluntly, sideloading is being able to access all the apps and games on your Oculus Go without going to the App store. You will be able to download all apps directly through your Oculus. It is quite simple and safe so you do not need to worry that you will damage or void any warranties on your VR-Headset. Here is how to do it:
Things you will need
- Oculus Go Headset & Charger
- Android Phone & Charger
- A computer
- Active Internet Connection
To get started on sidelaoding on your Oculus Go, you will need to first create a developer account.
- Go to Oculus Go Website and sign in.
- Create a name for the ‘Organization’. It doesn’t matter what name you choose as logn as it is something that you can remember.
After you have created the account, you will have to enable Developer Mode on your Oculus Go device. Don’t worry; it is quite easy to do.
- Open the Oculus Go app on your android phone and go to settings.
- Highlight the Oculus Go headset and choose the More Settings option.
- Turn on Developer Mode.
The next thing you will do is checkout SideloadVR. The app contains games and apps that were uploaded by the developers for you to test.
- Download SideloadVr on your Oculus Go.
- Follow the installation setup.
How to use APK Extractor?
Now that you have enabled Developer Mode and installed the SideloadVr app, it is time to get your hands on some apps and games. Download APK Extractor-Creator to your phone.
- Open SideloadVr and find an app you want to download. Choose VRidge 2 for your first download.
- You will receive a notification that requests that you confirm the download.
- Open APK Extractor.
- Locate VRidge 2 in the apps list. Press the Extract APK option.
- Find the extracted file son your phone’s download section and transfer the files to your computer via USB or email.
The next step will be in getting ABD installer on your computer. This helps install tools and drivers between a computer and an Android phone.
- Install ABD.
- Restart computer.
Now you will want to connect you oculus Go device to your computer.
- Locate the ABD installation folder. Drag and Drop the APK file into the ADB folder.
- Start the cmd prompt on your computer. Type in ‘adb devices’.
- Open your Oculus and allow debugging.
- Type and type the ‘adb device’ prompt a second time.
- In the final prompt that appears, type ‘adb install _nameoffile_.apk.
- You should get a notification hat the installer worked properly.
That’s it for the hard part.
- From the main menu of the Oculus Go headset, choose Navigate.
- Select Unknown Sources and locate the APK you downloaded.
- The APK should load without a problem.
This is the basics of AK and sideloading apps on your Oculus Go.